Online Purchasing Behaviour Research
Coyne Research on behalf of the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) conducted a study of consumer behaviour in relation to buying online. The research was undertaken online with adults aged 18+ years in August 2016.
- 33% of consumers are unaware they can return unwanted goods bought online
- Only 29% of consumers can correctly identify the length of the 14-day cooling-off period
- Just over 50% of consumers are not aware that their rights when buying from EU sites are stronger than when from buying from non-EU sites
- 70% are not aware that there are different rights when buying online from an individual versus from a business
- 52% of those who bought clothing/footwear online experienced difficulties with their purchase with 32% of these consumers reporting delivery delays